Saturday, March 29, 2008

Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe



I took a job as musical director for the musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch. This means I generally work 14 hour days between the dayjob and rehearsals. But the cast is loads of fun, incredibly talented, and I spend most of my time laughing. The theater company hasn't hired an official diction coach to teach Hedwig his... her... German accent. The director overheard my Werner Herzog impression and ever since I have doubled as the diction coach.

"There is a harmony - a harmony of overwhelming and collective murder. Even the stars in the sky are a mess."

Try saying it with the Herzog monotone and hard Rs.

A few months ago I had the incredible opportunity to see Herzog at the University of Pennsylvania. The small lecture hall could only accommodate 10% of the people who wanted to see him. Near riots ensued.

No comments: