Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ambigious Truth


Seigneur! Seigneur!
Musique et Poése m'ont conduit vers Toi: par image, par symbole, et par défault de vérite.
Seigneur! Seigneur!
Seigneur, illumine-moi de ta présence! Délivre-moi, enivre-moi, éblouis-moi pour toujours de ton excés de vérité...
(Il meurt.)

Lord! Lord!
Music and poetry have led me to Thee: by image, by symbol, and in default of Truth.
Lord! Lord!
Lord, illuminate me with Thy Presence! Deliver me, enrapture me, dazzle me for ever by Thy excess of Truth...



The Egyptians built the pyramids. The Romans built the Pantheon. The Saxons built Stonehenge. Messiaen built the opera St. François d'Assise. Messiaen's greatest masterpiece ends the life of St. Francis with lines inspired by St. Thomas Aquinas.

I wasn't raised religious. I am not a religious man. But I find that this quote resonates with my outlook. Perhaps my connotations of the word "Lord" are a bit more ambigious...

... but isn't that exactly it?

No comments: