Saturday, January 31, 2009

Birds and Beats


I was recently honored with a position to mentor some college theater students, and contribute music, to their production of "The Tempest" this semester. I was chosen based on my previous work, and during interviews it was clear that since they enjoyed my theatrical compositions, that's exactly what they were asking me to contribute. Only problem is, they also hired a director who doesn't share my musical vision. I missed a rehearsal due to illness and read in the rehearsal notes that they had choreographed the masque scene to Britney Spears. Confused, I wrote and asked why? Especially since I had offered to compose music, etc. etc. Answer: Daily Double. It has a good beat.

My original idea was to craft sounds of nature with some musical instruments on stage and make something a bit more mystical. I realized that it just wasn't gonna fly - so if beats were what they wanted, best thing was to make some beats.... son.

Grabbed my birdsong collection, some drum machine software, a few African and Indonesian CDs, and went to work. Here are the first few ideas/rough mixes. Damn those plovers are funkay.


Doves.wav - T. Herion


Geese.wav - T. Herion


Plovers.wav - T. Herion

No comments: