Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bruce Lee and Space Counterpart

Weekly gym goings-on have led to a few Kung Fu lessons. I've learned two things right off the bat. 1. Kung Fu requires serious core strength and lots of kicking ability. (I haven't kicked since I was 12 years old). 2. Kung Fu technique will, if executed properly, end a confrontation in about 2 seconds.

I don't think anyone between the age of 24 and 30 can deny the overwhelming influence of Karate Kid on our lives, but I wonder how many of us followed through. You'd wonder why anyone in their right mind wouldn't follow through. I mean, just look at this comparison - Kung Fu derived fighting techniques vs. brute try, try again as exhibited by NASA hero Captain Kirk.

Bruce Lee is superman. The Jeet Kun Do story is pretty awesome. And its nice to see Tao being put to use in the world of one-finger push-ups.



And then there is Star Trek. Was the fighting choreographer drunk?

No comments: