Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Animal Collective is totally awesome


While filling my daily quota of procrastination via web surfing, I decided to look into a band recommended to me a while back. Animal Collective is a quartet from... I'm just gonna copy and paste the description from R5 productions:

The Brooklyn-based modern folk group comprised of DEKAN, GEOLGIST, AVEY TARE and PANDA BEAR under their ANIMAL COLLECTIVE moniker. Built around the AVEY TARE and PANDA BEARS gorgeous harmonic vocals and twin acoustic guitar strumming, the group moves from chiming acoustic guitar songs to gentler, more dispersed picked ballads to sprawling, guitar-swell psychedelics, bubbling, acid-warped vocal effects, and tribal, almost shamanic trance-outs based around looping vocals and hypnotic kick-pulses. Influences range from the Holy Modal Rounders to Simon & Garfunkel, Syd Barrett, the Beach Boys, the Incredible String Band, Brazilian tropicalia, Gilberto Gil, Milton Nasciemento, Black Dice, and beyond. Sweet melodies, big catchy hooks, and a ton of focus and personality.


After listening to a few of their tracks (which are posted on the R5 site) I totally had one of those they beat me to it moments. Now I'm going to wallow in my own creative hollows while soaking in those AC melodies, flickering back and forth between real time and... .. .

No comments: